Re: [Bacula-devel] space saving in the database

On Tuesday 12 February 2008 15.31:54 Adam Thornton wrote:
> On Feb 12, 2008, at 2:26 AM, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > One hash is not possible without seriously restricting user's
> > flexibility --
> > the MD5 field though not totally used as planned in 2.2. (hopefully
> > it will
> > be in 2.2) is a critical field for security and certain government
> > legal
> > requirements for the storage of data.
>
> If we still have some design flexibility, how about we *don't* call it
> the "MD5" field?

It is a lot of work to change a database field name.  It isn't just a simple
change the name, recompile and we are done as is the case with C/C++ variable
names.  It requires a modification of the database schemas, a database update
(a lot of work), ...

> Something like the "cryptographic hash" field?

Too long to have readable code, and spaces are not permitted in names. :-)

> That way we don't have
> the completely predictable annoyance and confusion when we *do* end up
> using sha256 or something other than MD5 as the hash.

When you set it in the FileSet resource.