Re: [Bacula-devel] "buffer overflow detected" error on fedora distributions.

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 14:14 -0500, Josh Fisher wrote:

> Maybe not. The %configure macro defined in /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/macros
> defines CFLAGS="${CFLAGS:-%optflags}" prior to the call to ./configure.
> Thus, if CFLAGS is not already defined, then it sets CFLAGS to defaults
> set by %optflags, which contains global CFLAGS flags plus
> architecture-dependent (-mtune,-march, etc.) flags. If CFLAGS is already
> defined when %configure is invoked, then it uses it as is and does not
> pull in the %optflags value. Using the spec file from
> bacula-2.2.8-1.src.rpm I got (on x86_64):
>
> CFLAGS = -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions
> -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64 -mtune=generic
> -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti
>
> Using the spec file from bacula-2.2.8-2.src.rpm I get:
>
> CFLAGS =  -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=0 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti
>
> This is because the CFLAGS defaults are not pulled in by the %configure
> macro due to explicitly setting CFLAGS in the spec file. This is why it
> is a bad idea to set CFLAGS in the spec file. I don't think there is a
> generic solution for the spec file, and Kern is correct in that it will
> have to be up to the packager. I was able to turn FORTIFY_SOURCE off by
> copying the %__global_cflags definition from /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/macros
> to my ~.rpmmacros file and changing the -DFORTIFY_SOURCE flag there,
> resulting in the folowing line in my ~/.rpmmacros file:
>
> %__global_cflags -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=0 -fexceptions
> -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
>
> After adding the above line to ~/.rpmmacros and going back to the spec
> file from bacula-2.2.8-1.src.rpm (ie that does not set CFLAGS in the
> spec file), I get:
>
> CFLAGS = -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=0 -fexceptions
> -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64 -mtune=generic
> -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti
>
> which is correct for the x86_64 platform I am building on.
>
> So, I think your first RPM source, bacula-2.2.8-1.src.rpm, is actually
> the correct one, and the second version does not set CFLAGS correctly
> for x86_64. There doesn't seem to be any architecture-independent way of
> turning off FORTIFY_SOURCE from the spec file, or from the configure
> script for that matter.
>
> This is not ideal, and it would be nice if Fedora/RedHat provided some
> means for turning off FORTIFY_SOURCE from the spec file, but it is not
> too difficult to add a line to the ~/.rpmmacros file. I think we can
> live with that for now.

Yes, that is simple enough, and I can remove the change I made to the
spec file. But I do not want to continue fielding the inevitable emails
that will come, nor am I willing to introduce more convoluted logic to
specify proper CFLAGS strings per platform. I'll add a note to the
RPM-FAQ and then no longer consider this a packaging issue.