Re: [Bacula-devel] space saving in the database

Cousin Marc wrote:
> [...]
>
> Real data :
> SELECT attname, avg_width from pg_stats where tablename = 'file';
>   attname   | avg_width
> ------------+-----------
>  pathid     |         4
>  filenameid |         4
>  lstat      |        59
>  md5        |        24
>  fileid     |         4
>  fileindex  |         4
>  jobid      |         4
>  markid     |         4
>
> everything is int4 except lstat and md5.
> So 4 bytes for every field, except an average of 59 (+4 bytes of overhead) for
> lstat and 24 (+4 bytes of overhead) for md5. A row is about 115 bytes, with
> 63 bytes for lstat and 28 for md5.
>
> So, something around 40GB of data. There is also 30% of free space (too much,
> I think, we have to investigate this part)
>
> Of the 40GB of data,
>

> So, I now get to the point :
> - we want to try to save some space in file table, so the obvious targets are
> lstat and md5.
> - we don't want to change bacula code, so the database has to do the dirty
> work...
> For now, I've been working on the lstat field. It is base64-encoded, and
> contains mostly spaces, As and Bs.
>
> What I've done is create a new datatype 'lstat', and code a huffman
> compress/decompress in C, with static weights for every symbol (' ',A,B
> vastly outweighting the rest of the codes). The savings are around 12% for
> the table (of course, we get nothing on the indexes as lstat isn't indexed).
> It costs CPU (about 1s of CPU for 300000 encoded + decoded lstats on my PC),
> but may be optimized as I'm not that good at C programming.
>

> I now want to try to save some more space on md5 (the gain will be smaller).
> md5 is base64 encoded too, but every char has the same weight, so all I can
> try is save some space by putting it back in raw form (it will be about 3/4
> of the original size, a bit more as the variable size of the field will add
> the same overhead). The problem is that there doesn't seem to be an end of
> stream indicator, because the decoding part of bacula's code knows the size
> of what it wants to retrieve.
>
> What I need now is to know exactly what I can expect in the lstat so that I
> can encode and decode it correctly in the database backend. Is it 32 bytes
> aligned ? (so I can discard the last few bits I may decode).
> For instance, the current md5 is 22 chars, so it would decode 22*6=132 bytes.
> Are the last 4 discarded ?
> If I can't make such hypothesis, I will have to put a size header in my
> compressed field. Even 1 byte is 300MB now for our database and will be even
> worse in the future...
>
> Of course, if anyone is interested in the code, I will happily provide it as
> is, but I guess that Eric will commit it in the repository when he thinks my
> work is usable. For now, it only supports postgresql 8.3, and there is no

Please post it.  I think seeing it, knowing how it is used, and how it
works will be useful in the evaluation of the patch.   Well, it's not a
Bacula patch, it's a patch against the database.

--
Dan Langille - http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - The Technical BSD Conference: http://www.bsdcan.org/