Re: [Bacula-devel] libdbi backend to catalog database

David Boyes wrote:
>> Kern> When the Bacula drivers become shared objects, Bacula will be
>> Kern> capable of working with multiple different database types
>> Kern> simultaneously so any new implementation should include that
>> Kern> possibility.
>
> I wish you luck in supporting it -- you're going to need it.
>
> I think the problems of using multiple databases for Bacula internals
> and supporting multiple types of database clients are substantially
> different, and if you want to support multiple types of databases for
> the internals you'll either need to federate the disparate databases
> into one view, or pick one for Bacula's internal use and stick with it.
> I think there are serious integrity problems that you'll need to solve
> if you want to use federated databases for Bacula internals (eg,
> holographic table storage, and you'll need to deal with some really hard
> failure scenarios that Just Aren't Worth It).

I have no idea what you are talking about.  :)

Bacula now has the ability to use multiple Catalogs.  At present, all of
the Catalogs must be of the same type (e.g. PostgreSQL).  I read what Kern
said as allowing each Catalog to be a different database type (e.g. one of
PostgreSQL, another of MySQL).

A Catalog is a totally self-contained entity.  Data is not shared across
Catalogs.

--
Dan Langille - http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - The Technical BSD Conference: http://www.bsdcan.org/