Re: [Bacula-devel] libdbi backend to catalog database

On Friday 01 February 2008 16.44:48 David Boyes wrote:
> > Is possible to add one more argument like char *db_type, this indicate
> > what driver libdbi will use?. So Bacula uses db_init_database  in
> > various places... and need to change them too.
>
> Why not add a /etc/bacula/dbms.conf file that the admin can edit to
> indicate the installed database type and read your database type
> information from there? I think it's unlikely that there will be more than
> one database type in an individual Bacula install. Then you can do the
> db_name_init once and not have to touch the rest of the code.

I have fewer problems with the idea of touching the code than with adding
another configuration file with possibly a different syntax. In fact, it
would probably take more code than what I am proposing to read the database
type from a separate file.

When the Bacula drivers become shared objects, Bacula will be capable of
working with multiple different database types simultaneously so any new
implementation should include that possibility.