Re: [Bacula-devel] libdbi backend to catalog database

Hello,

I am really pleased to see that you are making progress.  Please don't forget
to email me a copy of the code, in its current state.  Doing so, can avoid
doing more work later as I will be able to give you early comments.

Concerning the design problem where you need to know the driver type:  I have
been planning to turn the drivers into shared objects at some point and so
what you are asking for is what will also be needed at that point.

I would be interested to hear comments from other people on this list, but
rather than overload an existing directive my inclination would be to create
a new directive named:

  DB Driver = "mysql" ...

or in your case it can be:

  DB Driver = "libdbi:mysql"  or "libdbi:postgres", ...

Note, once we have shared objects, in your case, two pieces of information are
needed by Bacula: 1. your driver name (libdbi or whatever you want), and 2.
the driver you are going to load.  Obviously, in the current situation where
the Bacula driver is compiled in, the "libdbi" is not currently needed, but
that won't hurt anything.

Then make a new db_ call which would be:

  db_load_driver(JCR *jcr, const char *db_driver);

At the moment, this would do nothing except save the name passed in the jcr
structure.  Then in your libdbi db_init_database() code, you will be able to
parse the name to find what driver to call.  Later, the db_load_driver() code
will be enhanced to actually load the appropriate shared object library ...

If everyone agrees on this, I'll be happy to add the necessary "core" code for
you.